Sanden Eco Heat Pump Hot Water system
The Sanden Eco heat pump is Australia's most advanced and energy-efficient hot water system
The Sanden Eco heat pump is a ground-breaking product, highly innovative and energy-efficient. It has overtaken solar hot water as the best and most environmentally friendly way to heat hot water for your home. It absorbs heat from the air and transfers it to heat water, in a way that saves energy, saves money and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
Sanden is a Japanese-owned global business that has earned a solid reputation as a leader in the field of heating and cooling technology. Sanden has over 50 years' experience in the production and global supply of air conditioning compressors. Sanden has applied this advanced understanding of heat transfer technologies to the home environment, resulting in the development of the Sanden Eco Hot Water Heat Pump System. This highly-innovative hot water system is manufactured in-house at Sanden's state-of-the-art factories in Japan.
Why choose the Sanden Eco?
Sanden Eco has the energy efficiency of an industry defining standard. The Sanden heat pump system consumes 1kW of electricity to generate 4.5 kW of heat (COP = 4.5*), which equates to 22% of the energy used by a traditional electric system. Therefore you can save up to 78% of your usual electric hot water energy costs by installing this solar powered heating unit.
It is technologically innovative and has up to 50% faster heat recovery than currently available hot water heat pumps. In ambient air of 20 ºC it takes approximately four hours to heat 315 litres of water from 17ºC to 65ºC
The Sanden Eco heat pump has the highest level of STC values of currently available commercial and domestic models on the market.
It has a three-year warranty. The Australian Made Stainless Steel Storage Tank has a class leading 15-year warranty, providing you with peace of mind when installing your Sanden Eco system.
Sanden’s extensive research has delivered a ‘whisper quiet’ operating noise level (38dB) that ensures both you and your neighbours’ lifestyles remains unaffected by its operation.
- No collectors need to be installed on the roof. Instead this heat pump absorbs heat from the air and uses that energy to heat the water. It’s a method that conserves energy, saves money and reduces greenhouse gas emissions – a win for the planet and for you!
How Does The Sanden Eco Heat Pump Work?
The Sanden heat pump works much like a refrigerator in reverse. It contains a fan that forces air through an evaporator that contains an ozone-friendly natural refrigerant CO2 (R744). The heat in the air is absorbed by the refrigerant, which is circulated in the system via a compressor. As it passes through the compressor, its pressure rises, as does its temperature. This hot refrigerant then passes through a heat exchanger to heat the water, which is finally pumped to the storage tank.
The amount of electrical energy required to heat the water is significantly less than that required by a conventional electric hot water system.
The system is suitable for a family of 3–6 . The unit is supplied as two separate components: the Heat Pump (made in Japan) and the Stainless Steel Storage Tank (made in Australia). Having two seperate components allows easy on-site handling and installation, as well as flexibility of the storage tank location which can be up to four meters distance from the heat pump unit.
Cost savings achieved by a Sanden Eco® vs a conventional electric hot water system
The table presents electricity consumption figures recorded by a Sanden customer, who replaced his conventional electric Rheem Hot Water System with a Sanden Hot Water Heat Pump System, on 4.10.10.
He lives in the Sydney Metro area, has a family of 4 people (ie. Husband, Wife & 2 x Children) usinghot water and uses Off-Peak Controlled Load 2.
As can be seen, the reduction in usage achieved for the 2010/11 period, versus prior year, was approx. 80%, while the reduction in $ Cost for the same period was 77% and this was despite a change of supplier and a more expensive tariff (ie. increase of 18.7%).
Did you know that Heat Pump technology is more energy efficient than Solar Hot Water?
Since 2009, the Campbell Creek Energy Efficient Home Project* has compared the energy usage of three homes, each with different types of water heaters. The latest testing, from January to December 2012, confirmed that the Solar Flat Panel system used 38% more energy than the Hot Water Heat Pump.
Heat Pump Unit
- A high Coefficient of Performance (COP=4.5^) results in significantly reduced energy use and CO2 emissions
- Up to 50% faster heat recovery than typical heat pumps. In ambient air of 20ºC it takes approximately four hours to heat 315 litres of water from 17ºC to 65ºC
- Uses unique ozone-friendly refrigerant CO2 (R744)
- Simple installation by a plumber and electrician, with no refrigeration mechanic required
- An automatic heating cycle, which makes it perfect for use with off-peak power
- Fitted with in-built freeze protection, making it suitable for all climates (from -10ºC to +43ºC)
- No backup element required
- 'Whisper quiet' operation, with industry-leading noise level of 38 dB – very neighbour friendly!
- High-quality, weather-resistant construction for outdoor location
- Made in Japan, three-year warranty
Stainless Steel Tank
- High quality, '316 marine grade' stainless steel cylinder
- Fully insulated for minimal heat loss
- Mains pressure-rated
- 315 litre tank with two installation options (tall with a reduced diameter or short with an increased diameter)
- Safety pressure and temperature relief valve
- Made in Australia, 15-year warranty